“My laptop suddenly shuts down by itself without any warning. Sometimes it works fine for hours, and sometimes it shuts down in 5-20 minutes.” We always hear such complaint from our clients. After we test a lot of laptops, we found that they all have a common feature, that is, the temperature is relatively high. So we come to the conclusion: this phenomenon is caused by laptop overheating.
If your laptop has the following features, it means your laptop may overheat.
1. Keyboard and the palm rest become very hot as it works.
2. CPU fans keep constant working and make loud sound than before.
3. Laptop suddenly shuts down by itself without warning. The laptop used to be turned off after it worked for 1 to 2 hours. But now it is turned off after 5 to 20 minutes of regular operation.
4 The laptop is in regular work when it runs idle. But it shut down once you start using applications which have memory demands (DVD player, Photoshop and so on).
The solution of laptop suddenly shuts down
1. If you have an ultrabook, you need to remove some screws and remove the bottom cover. Under the bottom cover, you should be able to access the heat sink and cooling fan. Remove the securing screws and disconnect the fan cable from the motherboard. Now separate the cooling fan from the heat sink, clean the cooling fan and the heat sink with compressed air or hairbrush.
2. If you have a laptop, accessing the heat sink and the fan will be difficult, you need to remove the keyboard and palm rest, and sometimes you even have to remove the motherboard to access the heat sink and cooling fan. You can visit our repair guide to find some laptops disassemble guide.
3. We highly recommend you removing old thermal grease from the CPU and GPU, and applying new thermal grease for better heat conductivity.